Teaching and learning is a process that includes many variables. These
variables interact as learners work toward their goals and incorporate
new knowledge, behaviors and skills that add to their range of learning
experiences. The aim of teaching and learning is to set a positive
climate for learning and balancing intellectual and emotional
components of learning.
Special Programmes for advanced learners and slow learners
A slow learner is a child who could be with a below average intelligence, whose thinking skills have developed significantly more slowly than the norm for his/her age. This child will go through the same basic developmental stages as other children, but will do so at a significantly slower rate.
Identifying slow learners is a challenging task for teachers. It demands great patience, minute observation equipped with good method of teaching technique. Moreover, a compassionate human heart is to be arrived at.
- Students are frequently immature in their relationships with others and do poorly in college.
- Function at ability but significantly below grade level
- Have a poor self-image.
- Attention span is very short
- A Slow learner has difficult in higher order thinking or reasoning
- Remedial Teaching classes should be provided for these learners to avoid confusion and chaos in the classroom.
- Basics of the subjects were cleared through remedial classes
- Notes on important topics were provided.
- Repetition helps to make one concept concrete.
- Start by asking questions what they know and build their knowledge confidence by teaching some familiar material.
- Try to relate the topic to the real life situation.
- Simplification of aspects
- Special attention
- Constant evaluation
- Give extra time to ask questions for weak students.
- Change their seat to promote attentiveness
- Weak student’s performance level was improved in University Exams
- Confidence level increased.
Advanced Learners (bright students) are those students who are ahead on the learning curve and require advanced technical know-how. Advanced earners are identified based on the performance in University Examination of previous semester and internal examinations.
- Praise Students in Ways Big and Small.
- Monitor the students’ academic excellence regularly.
- Provide individual attention.
- Conduct regular exams, Group discussions, Quiz competitions etc.
- Work on improving each students’ weak areas.
- Way of writing exams.
- To enhance Student’s memory.
- Teach students to over-learn material
- Teach students to use visual images and other memory strategies
- Teach students to be active readers
- Provide retrieval practice for students
- Help students to develop cues when storing information
- Prime the memory prior to teaching/learning
- Review material before going to sleep
- Give Reference Books and links.
- Help to study with additional notes and materials.
- Students get an idea about how to scores marks in University Exams.
- Improve their self-confidence.
- Students got good scores in competitive exams.